Tuesday, January 09, 2007

5 things people don't know about me

Lauren blog tagged me on this one a long long time ago. Here goes, although some people probably already DO know these things.

1. I won a class wide spelling bee in the 6th grade and then proceeded to sort of misspell a word on purpose at the county-wide bee (this was all written, not an out loud onstage type of thing). The word was "jodphur" and I was not entirely sure if it had the h or not, but I sure as heck did not want to move on from the county-wide bee and have to spell out loud on a stage at the Oregon State Fair, so I went without an h, which I was somewhat more sure was wrong. Jordan has never quite forgiven me for this.

2. There is one board in the hardwood floor in our living room that I won't walk on. It's a little darker than the other boards and when I was little I got into an OCD thing where I wouldn't step on it. I'm pretty sure that makes me a racist.

3. In addition to the OCD thing with the floor, I also used to be unable to enter or exit my bed at home from the right side. This sort of had to do with the fact that the left side was the natural side to get on or off, as it faced the door and the right side bumped up next to my desk. It soon devolved from a natural behavior, however, into an ABSOLUTE NECESSITY. I've kind of gotten over this, but I have to admit to still being a little disturbed if I get on or off on the right.

4. Continuing on the odd string of behaviors, I have a mental block about the addition of 7+5 and 8+5. You would think that this would not be hard: obviously 7+5=12 and 8+5=13. But I seriously have to think about it every time I need to add those in my head. I had to think about it just then when I wrote it out.

5. Last but not least, I cannot keep my right and left straight. I know several other people who have this problem, so I know I am not alone. Giving directions is not my favorite thing because I always have to make a conscious effort to say the correct direction. Luckily I am somewhat saved by the fact that if you hold your left hand in front of you and hold out your index finger and thumb, it makes an "L," thus reminding me that that is my left side. Nevertheless, I tend to prefer pointing in the correct direction rather than saying it out loud.

And now ends the string of odd and neurotic behaviors that you may not have known about before! Ignorance may be bliss, but don't you feel better now that you really got to know me?

3 comments:

Kristin @ Intrepid Murmurings said...

Count me in on the left right club! I now just automatically make the L shape and feel it with my right hand to confirm left, instead of looking at it. Thats the super stealth way, FYI. Ha!

Unknown said...

i sometimes get confused with L vs R even when i hold up my L-fingers. sometimes i think that both ways could make an L and then i have to resort to pretending to write. you probably already know this, but i failed my driver's test the first time because i tried to turn right when she asked me to turn left. and i was going 33 in a 30.

wordplastic said...

This was fascinating, really...because I had no idea we had so much in common!
--sixth grade was my big spelling bee year, second place in the state
--haven't been able to enter my bed from the right since childhood (except at Wellesley, oddly)
--still get confused with right and left

Jessica