I know you were all missing me greatly. Well, since I last posted, my sister visited me for eleven days, my mean graduate program made me do work, and I got my computer back.
Lynne and I had a fun time together. Since I was so danged busy the entire week, we mainly spent our time together sitting around in my living room watching tv and chatting. We did manage to make it out to the Getty one day, went to two movies, took a little trip to the grocery store (woo hoo!), and toured around UCLA for an hour. Then she left me and I no longer had anyone around to wash my dishes. Wahhh.
I've been busy busy with school and work since the quarter started up. Last semester I was in all these classes where we did somewhat minimal (or no) reading, and occasionally had a little writing to do. This quarter they actually expect me to do work and write things! Geez. In one of my classes (Intro to Information Technology) we do 700-800 word write-ups pretty much every week. Each of them is a small part of our major paper, so it will be nice at the end of the quarter not to be frantically researching and writing everything up at the last minute. But still. I'm also taking a class that is basically about classification and cataloging and such; we are also expected to read and do work in that class. Do these people think I'm in school or something?
My children's class is a little more laid back so far, although we do have a major paper for that one. The best part of that class is our mini-storytime we have to present to the class. We have to read a story, do a finger play (the Itsy Bitsy Spider is an example of a finger play, get your minds out of the gutter), and do a flannel board story (remember? the things where the librarian/teacher sticks felt cut-outs on a board and tells a story with them?). Anyway, I'm thinking of going with a bird theme. I already have a story and a finger play, which could end up turning into a flannel board story. I just need to find a new finger play then. So exciting! In addition, I'm thinking of doing my major paper on using the library to increase children's awareness of multiculturalism/social justice/diversity/people who aren't just like them. I'm looking to move beyond the usual "festivals around the world" or "here's a folktale from India!" things. You can bet Beautiful Blackbird will be included. I admit I might have been inspired to do this anyway, but I'm particularly fired up thanks to Lauren and her social justice teaching program.
Last, but not least, I got my computer back. The Apple people fixed it all up and I went in and picked it up on Wednesday morning. It has been very exhilarating to just turn on the computer and check my email. I don't have to beg Lauren for the use of her computer, or walk twenty minutes to school or anything. Now you can look forward to many more of my brilliant insights, lucky you!
Friday, February 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment