Tuesday, March 20, 2007

thanks for the reminder, really

It did occur to me, just before I moved down here, that I was entering "major quake" territory. After some wide eyed terror, I decided not to think about the fact that I could be buried under a pile of rubble at any moment. Once I moved here, I decided not to be a complete idiot and followed Lauren's suggestions to create an earthquake kit. I have extra water at home and in the car, and some extra food in both places too. I should do more, but whatever. Also, I didn't hang anything above my bed. Every time I have to do one of these earthquake things, I kind of have a heart attack. I mean, we had earthquake drills at OES and I remember a few earthquakes occurring at home (one this past summer at 1 in the morning). We have them every once in a while, but it's not like we have an official earthquake month (April in CA, now you know). This is just all to say that when I received this in the mail from UCLA today, I was not very happy.

1 comment:

L said...

i survived several earthquakes when i was little and living in california. the weren't really so bad. stand in the doorframes...they are usually the last parts of building to stay standing. that said, i did, as a five-year-old, find a safe place to hide in each room in my house in case there was an earthquake. but you already knew i'm a but neurotic. good luck.