Monday, March 19, 2007

yes, we know you had to go to school in 8 feet of snow

Some of you (Katie, in particular) probably recall my Dar Williams phase. This was back in the day when we could see a lot of other people's iTunes on the Wellesley network, so I didn't even have to actually own any Dar music to listen to it. And believe me, plenty of other Wellesley students had Dar on their iTunes. I liked Dar so much that one of only two concerts I ever paid to attend while in college was hers (the other, revealing the extend of my hippiness, was Girlyman, who opened for DW at her concert and who describe themselves as "delicious acoustic harmony-driven gender pop").

Anyway, I just rediscovered some of my Dar music on iTunes and was particularly amused to remember the song "Southern California Wants To Be Western New York." If there is anything I do not want to be, it is anywhere that could remotely be considered upstate New York. This is primarily because most people that I have met from upstate New York are annoying about it. Lauren has a theory that it is due to an inferiority complex about not being from NYC. Really, they constantly bring up the fact that they are from upstate New York, in upstate New York this is how they do xyz, you think this weather is bad, it's so much worse in upstate New York, blah blah. You think I am exaggerating, but I really am not. It just gets a little old after a while.

Next up: making vast generalizations about people from other Mid-Atlantic states! You'd better watch out Pennsylvania.

2 comments:

katie said...

i totally agree about the whole buffalo thing, and i feel i am an expert on the matter...my first year roommate was from there and that's something you know about her and anyone like that w/in 5 seconds of meeting them.

Kristin @ Intrepid Murmurings said...

Did you know that Dar played a private concert for the OES dorms somewhere around the fall of '94? She was friends with (and I think went to college with) John Capen, one of the dorm parents at the time. I was pissed because it snowed that day and I missed it (and in PDX, unlike NY, one inch of snow will stop everything...)