Monday, October 22, 2007

down here in the raging inferno

Maybe you haven't heard because you live in a cave, but there are some major conflagrations going on down here in my neck of the woods. Also, it is about a million degrees. I'm not myself affected by the fires except for the haze in the air, off to the south, but I am affected by the high temperature. Today I practiced avoidance by driving (ha, that will help the climate become not so off-kilter and dry, right?) to the mall (yes) and admiring the wool coats and sweaters at Nordstrom. I actually went there to get some pants hemmed, but then got caught up in a Fall reverie.

Even though Fall actually lasted for about two weeks during my four year residence on the East Coast (sandwiched in between the September humidity and the late October snow), it was really really great. Those leaves that you see in pictures? It really looks like that. The pumpkins are really in a patch, you can wear your cozy wool sweater, the sun shines.

Of course, then it starts to snow for four or five months. Oh, selective memory.

1 comment:

jordanwb said...

First of all...I loved your post about the cemetery! That tour is definitely the kind of thing I would have loved.

And just a note on "fall" in New England...this year we don't have it either, because it is still summer. Yeah, it's overcast this morning, and there's a chance it's going to rain, but it is still supposed to get up to 70 degrees. There isn't any snow forecast yet, but we all know how fickle the weather patterns are here...