Friday, November 02, 2007

alert, alert, christmas is only seven weeks away!

Today I saw that ABC Family, or one of those strange cable channels that I watch, was starting a "countdown to the 25 days of Christmas" movie marathon in a few weeks. So basically, a countdown to a countdown. I know everyone complains about this, but I really do not like being harassed about Christmas five seconds after Halloween.

Even Beverly Hills is harassing me to come to their Christmas events (which start in two weeks). They sent out all these little cards, I guess to people who live in and near the city. Apparently my zipcode is fancy enough to be included. It kind of reminds me of the time when we were all invited to take dance lessons in middle school and by "all" I mean people who went to my independent school, our rival independent school, and the one middle school on the west side of Portland. Needless to say, my sister and I boycotted ballroom dancing.

In other news, I almost died driving home from juvey yesterday. I made a right turn onto a street and the car I turned in front of was going about 75 miles an hour on a surface street. It was dark, so I couldn't really tell how fast he was going before I turned. I'm just assuming it was a him because of the reaction I got, which was some intense honking and tailgating. And I'm not talking "beep beep" more of a sustained I'm going to kill you honk. I'm a wuss, so I just turned on my blinker and pulled over to let him go by, wherein he proceeded to slow down and honk some more at me, before pulling away. I think my no eye contact rule basically saved me from getting shot by this SUV driving jerkface. Of course it was an SUV.

But I love Los Angeles! I mean, I could get burned up in a wildfire, crushed to death in an earthquake or killed on a surface street in the Valley. But! there is a fruit stand in Sylmar (home of juvey) in front of a gas station where we partook of pineapple with chili powder, lime and salt. So at least you can be well-fed.

Another great thing about Sylmar is that people just randomly ride horses around on the city streets. One of my fellow volunteers told me this, and I didn't quite believe her until last night. Yep, there came a man with a cowboy hat on, riding his horse down the street in the dark. Sylmar also backs up against the San Gabriel mountains and is very picturesque. So the moral of story is, if you can stand daily near death experiences, there are some nice things in LA.

1 comment:

jordanwb said...

AAAAHHHHAHAHA your post made me laugh so hard! Anyway, I saw the very same commercial on ABC Family (were you watching "Big" too?), and Paul and I had a nice conversation along the same lines of your blog entry.

Also, I didn't go to ballroom dancing lessons.

And finally, I'm glad you are alive. Yesterday I was cataloging my own near death experiences, although I didn't reach any conclusions as pithy as yours.