Friday, September 19, 2008

being old

You know you are old when you have to add files titled "Car" and "Job" to your file folder. Today, I went and became the official owner of the Subaru, so it is now a Californian.

Can I just say that AAA membership is worth it just to be able to register your car there and not have to set foot in the DMV? I did enough of that when I was trying to get a CA driver's license a few weeks ago. I will fully admit here that I did not actually pass the written test the first time (yes I had to take a written test). I was all overly confident about the whole thing; after all, I already had a driver's license, so it should be no problem, right? I don't need to read through that silly California driver's manual! But after failing (hey, they had a high standard--I could only get 6 wrong out of 36), I realized my blase attitude was probably a bad idea and I actually sat down and read the darn thing. Needless to say, I passed the second time, thank goodness!

California, despite its progressive reputation, is behind the times when it comes to the DMV. When I got my Washington license, 8 years ago, the test was computerized. In California, 8 years later, I still had to fill in bubbles on a piece of paper which was then hand scored. Oh well.

Oh man, I am so old and boring now, going on about the DMV. Luckily I have a few exciting events coming up that do not involve state bureaucracies. Brunch with friends, a weekend visit from my favorite expecting family, and I get to work tomorrow (Saturday)! Okay, so that last one isn't so exciting, but at least it gave me today to take care of these little odds and ends that cannot be done on the weekend. Woo.

5 comments:

JacquelineBarry said...

That AAA tip will be great for the reference desk someday I bet!

little lori said...

Oh man, if you are old I am too...I went to the Oregon DMV to change my name and am not looking forward to getting a California one. And I used my (brand new) AAA membership to get a new battery at the beach yesterday! Very grateful for good old AAA.

jordanwb said...

Gah! Yeah, it took WAY too long about getting my car registered in Colorado. I had to apply for loans and do all this grown up stuff! And then, I had to wrangle with titles and liens and DMVs and RMVs and county offices and insurance companies and banks and...

Phew! Let's just say I'm glad that's over. I thought the hardest part about getting a car was going to be paying for it. If only it were that easy!

I'm gaining the courage to go get a Colorado driver's license. Got to do it by Oct. 6 so I can vote!

Miss Merissa said...

HaHa...well I definitely can't complain about getting old anymore lol. Yeah, as I am sure you know already, California has some ridiculously high standards, then again it is California!
And YEAH for AAA! You get discounts at many places with your AAA card! lol
Hope your weekend was fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

i almost failed my EYE exam, which seems pretty foolproof...but apparently in memphis you get examined on your eyes together and on each eye separately. and since i have like zero to no vision in the left one, i had to try about 9 times and cheat a little just to pass. masssssive headache afterward. i swear i can see!