Monday, August 18, 2008

wedding, exercise, and other excitement

Well, evidently an update is due. Back many moons ago (in July), I went to Comic Con. Some people seem uninformed that Comic Con is cool now. Well, it is. There were many celebrities there and not just those of the Star Wars persuasion. I am not a particularly large fan of anything being sold/advertised/put on display at Comic Con and mostly went just because my library friends were going. But it was still fun and I enjoyed the people watching.

Then I had to go get my hair done and apparently God had something to say about the vanity of getting highlights, because there was an earthquake while I was driving down Wilshire to the salon. I couldn't quite figure out what was going on for a while (something big drove by my car? car breaking down?) but then the d.j. on the radio station I was listening to informed us that it was an earthquake. Like all the other Angelenos driving next to me, I just kept going on my merry way, off to get my highlights. All was well. Still waiting for the big one.

I got to go home for almost two weeks in August. We went to the beach, where it was not particularly warm or sunny. Then I did what I usually do when I'm home: hang around with Mom. I'm not sure quite how we occupied our time, but I think it involved grocery shopping. The big event was August 9 when I went to Lori's wedding reception! It was fun to be with so many of my high school friends at such a great celebration. I also went to the dentist and got my eyes checked--you'll be happy to know that my perfect vision has barely changed since the last time I went to the eye doctor (at age 13). You'll also be happy to know I have a small cup. Evidently that is some sort of eye anatomy terminology that means I probably won't get glaucoma (unlike my mother).

Now I'm back in L.A., still involved in the job process. I'm pretty sure one of my prospects is going to pan out, unless they find out about a shady past I didn't know I had (ie, I have to get fingerprinted and drug tested). Think good employment thoughts for me!

I've also been obsessed with the Olympics, especially the more obscure sports they seem to air on Oxygen and USA (thank goodness for random cable channels). I've watched women's weightlifting, mixed doubles badminton, equestrian, and, the creme de la creme of unheralded Olympic sports, synchronized swimming. It was so sparkly, smiley, and synchronized! I think the Olympics have inspired me. You can now find me taking a brisk walk around my neighborhood every evening. Clearly I'm the next Michael Phelps.

Edit: Since Lori is mad at me for not giving her wedding its full due, I shall report that we did indeed have a wild and crazy bachelorette party on Friday night. Okay, so we half watched the Olympics and drank sub-par cocktails, but it was fun to hang out before the big day. And her reception was beautiful, with delish food and drinks, a sweet and funny slide show, and, most importantly, tequila shots.

2 comments:

little lori said...

um, my wedding deserved much more reportage than a mere 2 sentences. you didn't even mention our rip-roaring bachelorette party! rude.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katherine!
How are you?!? Wow! Driving through an earthquake to get highlights, very savage like.:)
So when are you coming back to visit?!?

Much Love, Merissa