I have a midterm and a presentation tomorrow in one of my classes (the one that I posted a rant about earlier). For some reason this has sent me into a state of absolute terror. I even had one of those bad dreams where I took the test and there was a question on it about a topic I had forgotten to study. I never have those dreams! Usually I am a very calm person about such matters.
I think it has to do with a couple of factors. First of all, the fact that I also signed up to give a presentation tomorrow is scary. I basically got over worrying about presentations at Wellesley, but that is because I always felt like I had a friendly audience. My professor is nice, but he likes to ask probing questions that potentially reveal your utter stupidity and lack of deep thought.
Second of all, I had to buy my own blue books (I was so dismayed). Please note that Wellesley College never made us do such a thing and thoughtfully provided us with as many blue books as we needed during the course of a test. So I'm kind of worried because I've never taken a test at UCLA--I don't really know what to expect.
Third of all, I don't know if this is a universal grad school thing or just my department, but I have to maintain a 3.0 GPA or they can kick me out. If I think about it logically, this is not a big deal. I'm not really expecting to do that badly in any of my classes. They also have an incentive to keep me in school, I guess, so basically that requirement just means that our grades are kind of inflated (well, that's what some other people have said). And it's not like I'm taking super advanced math classes here or something--it's just library school! But illogically, this requirement really scares me. It makes me feel like I am in a precarious position and any moment I might be sent away, never to become a librarian.
I think it's that last one that is making me so worried. At Wellesley I knew that I could do badly on a few and oh well. But I don't have that comfortable little feeling to fall back on here, so I'm having nightmares about Freud (yep, I distinctly remember that the question I couldn't answer in my dream had to do with Freud). The only good thing I have to say is at least it will all be over tomorrow at 5pm!
Monday, November 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment