Monday, October 23, 2006

i hate this class

Yes, hate is a very strong word, so perhaps I should say that I strongly dislike one of my classes. Sometimes it's sort of all right, but usually...well, let me give you a taste of the title of one of my readings for tomorrow: "Messy Assemblages, Emergent Protocols, and Emergent Knowledges: Complex Adaptive Systems and the Possibilities of Sustaining Multiple Ontologies and the Cultural Commons in New Ways of Assembling and Creating Knowledge.
(Alternative Titles: Emergent Mapping: Assemblage and Movement, Multiplicity and Connection: Complex Adaptive Systems as Models for Emergent Databasing.
Strategies of Connection, Emergent Knowledges and Complex Adaptive Systems: Processes, Performances, Protocols and Narratives, in Working with Multiple Ontologies and Incommensurability.)" Just to be a good librarian and student, I will inform you that this is a conference paper from the 4S Conference, Pasadena, October, 2005 and was written by David Turnbull.

This paper, and my other readings for my class tomorrow, are so full of academic jargon (ontology being the most benign) and references to Derrida and Foucault and, yes, even Freud, that I kind of want to throw up. The whole point of all of these articles is that we shouldn't use an overarching standardized system of classification for knowledge, particularly knowledge from indigenous people. They don't actually offer any solution but are interested in Wikipedia, tags, blogs, Flickr, etc. I guess we all just needed to prove that we were smarty pantses who knew who Derrida was, instead of just coming out and saying what we meant. This is why I am becoming a children's librarian.

1 comment:

katie said...

i'm pretty sure this "turnbull" person is not really a guy but a frustrated wellesley grad who had nothing better to do than write a that girl paper to show how one time, she climbed mt everest, and while she was there she just figured she'd establish an orphanage. for children with aids. that are blind and deaf. and then she personally chewed food up for them since they can't chew either. and then she wrote a paper on library stuff w/ lots of big words that she actually found on thesaurus.com.