Yep, the law finally caught up with me. Har har. I'm off to one of Los Angeles's three (3!) juvenile detention facilities tomorrow morning to check out the program UCLA's student YALSA (Young Adult Library Services Association) does there. I have to admit, I'm a little nervous. First of all, there's the whole driving to a new and unfamiliar place nervousness. I'm still not totally sure about the various bad times to drive, although the woman I've been emailing assures me I'm driving at a fairly low traffic time. I do have class to get back to in the afternoon, and I don't want to miss it since I barely understand what we're talking about as it is.
Then there's the going to juvenile detention nervousness. I accompanied the YA coordinator of my libary district to Clark County Juvenile Detention when I was interning there, but it has recently occurred to me that juvenile delinquents in Clark County and juvenile delinquents in Los Angeles County might have different issues. I don't know, maybe that's just a stereotype. I will be interested to see how and if it's different. I did have a brief moment of panic that I was going to the same place that Mark Salzman writes about in one of my all time favorite books, True Notebooks, but apparently he was at Central Juvenile Hall where they put the kids who commit the worst crimes.
I also feel like a bad person for being nervous about it at all and I did volunteer, so it's not like anyone is forcing me to do it. I think it should be really good once I get over the initial worries. I will let you all know how it goes!
Monday, October 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment